CONTACT US TODAY
Telephone 01347 868372
Fax 01347 868370

Email Newburgh Priory

 

Country House Wedding Venue in North Yorkshire

A Priory of the Augustinian Order was founded in 1145 through an original grant of the Newburgh lands by William the Conqueror to Robert de Mowbray. It was his son Roger de Mowbray, who established the Priory in one of the most delightful settings that can be found in this country. Little is known of the Priory from its founding until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538 by Henry VIII, but since that time Newburgh has benefited by being within the ownership of one family. This can be seen in the great wealth of portraits adorning its walls, from Sir William Bellasis, who converted it into a private residence in 1546, to those of Captain and Mrs Wombwell, the owners
until 1986.

Henry VIII sold Newburgh to one of his chaplains, Anthony de Bellasis (for £1,062) who with his brother Richard was responsible for the dissolution of not only Newburgh , but also eight other monasteries in the north. Anthony's nephew William, having converted the Priory, set the scene for Newburgh as it is today and, except for the alterations and building work carried out between 1720-1760, the Priory remains very similar to what it was during the Tudor/period.

The Priory remained in the possession of the Bellasis family, who took the title of Fauconberg when created Baron in 1627 (and Viscount in 1642) until 1825. On the death in 1802 of the second Earl of Fauconberg the earldom became extinct and Newburgh was left to Lady Charlotte his eldest daughter (married to Thomas Wynn, who assumed the name of Wynn Bellasis). On her death, in 1825 without male heir, the estate passed to the son of her sister, Lady Anne, who married Sir George Wombwell, 2nd Baronet in 1791, and it was their son George, the future 3rd Baronet, who inherited Newburgh Priory and its estates. The Wombwell Baronetcy was conferred on George Wombwell (1st Baronet) who was an extensive merchant and director. In 1778 he became Chairman of the East Indian Company and was M.P. for Huntingdon from 1774 to 1780.

So today unspoilt and retaining so much of its charm Newburgh is still lived in, and cared for, by the present Baronet and his wife, Sir George and Lady Wombwell and their two children Stephen born 1977 and Sarah born 1980.

 

 
Welcome | House & Garden | History | Weddings | Christmas Trees | Events | Property | Sporting | Filming Location | Opening Times | Location | Enquiries