Originally founded in 1145 on land granted to Robert de Mowbray by William the Conqueror, Newburgh began as an Augustinian Priory. Little is known of the Priory from its founding until the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII when it became a family home.
Sold for £1,062 by Henry VIII to a chaplain in 1549 it became a home to the Bellasis family. After converting the Priory to a private residence, apart from alterations between 1720 and 1760, the priory remains very similar today to how it was in that Tudor period.
Remaining in the Bellasis family for many years, it was then passed to a daughter in 1802 who married George Wombwell 2nd Baronet in 1778.
The House is now in the care of Stephen and Alice Wombwell and their family, who continue the effort to maintain the property and continue the legacy of Newburgh Priory in the hope it will remain in the family for years to come.
The House over the years has been a hotbed of political shenanigans, is partially cursed and is the alleged final resting place for the body of Oliver Cromwell - minus his head!